Beachwood Sports ArchiveA monthly look back
Beachwood Sports VideoPlease Stop Believing 99 Years of Cub Losses The 1908 Song Blame It On Bartman We Can't Wait 100 Years Dusty Must Get Fired
Search The Beachwood Reporter
Subscribe to the Newsletter
Bad pizza, Cheap Trick and Luc Longley. Plus: Remembering Jerry Sloan & Michael McCaskey; Matt Nagy Admits What Media Toadies Won't; The Bundesliga, NASCAR, Golf And The Pseudo-Triple Crown Are (Sorta) Back; and Steve's New iPhone And The Saga Surrounding It.
:13: Steve's New Phone And The Saga Surrounding It.
* Chen, New York Times: Apple iPhone SE Review: A Superb Smartphone For A Humble Price.
Rhodes Note: We live in a world where $400 is a humble price, but so be it. Should be $99, though.
* Maybe this isn't new, but it is to me: You can now buy "certified pre-owned" phones.
* FYI: Phones stores are "essential." My Verizon store rep told me they're serving a lot first responders who need to keep their phones working - or simply need a working phone.
* Damn you, White Sox!
* Rhodes: "Mundanity is being heightened."
12:20: Remembering Jerry Sloan.
* Sun-Times: Jerry Sloan Remembered As "The Original Bull."
* Sam Smith:
"Until Jordan came along, Sloan was Mr. Chicago Bull. Everyone knew that."@SamSmithHoops wrote this tribute to Jerry Sloan in 2009:— Chicago Bulls (@chicagobulls) May 22, 2020
* Coffman Note: "Hey, in the aftermath of me saying Jerry Sloan didn't win championships, it turns out (and it occurs to me now of course that you probably read this in David Rutter's column ('So Long, Jerry') as well) that Evansville played Division II men's basketball in the '60s into the early '70s and that Sloan led them to Division II national titles in '64 and '65. in fact the '65 championship capped off an undefeated, 29-0 season."
24:49: The Last Dance Has Been Danced.
* Coffman: They Weren't Coming Back.
* Rhodes: When They Broke Up The Bulls.
* Luc Longley!
* Scottie Pippen is the Cheap Trick of the NBA.
* Greenberg, Sun-Times: Scottie Pippen Was The Ultimate Wingman, But The No. 2 Player In The '90s? That's A Stretch.
* Coffman: "18 Fouls To Give."
* The Bad Pizza Game:
Flu Game? Trainer says MJ had bad pizza https://t.co/4CUZecw7pa— Beachwood Reporter (@BeachwoodReport) June 12, 2019
48:45: Remembering Michael McCaskey.
* Coffman: "It was what it was."
52:53: Matt Nagy Admits What Media Toadies Won't.
* September 2019: Matt Nagy Defends Not Playing His Starters In Preseason.
* May 15, 2020: Matt Nagy Confirms Bears Starters Will Play In 2020 Preseason Games.
* Plus . . . Barnwell: Ranking 2020 Offseasons For All 32 NFL Teams.
1:00:35: The Bundesliga Is Back! As Is NASCAR, Golf And The Pseudo-Triple Crown.
* Inadvertently all mic'd up!
For archives and other Beachwood shows, see The Beachwood Radio Network.
-More from Beachwood Sports »
Seriously, I was betting against the desk, at good prices.Continue reading "TrackNotes: Punditry As A Handicapping Tool" »
Posted on Apr 30, 2021
It is an illusion that newspaper newsrooms in those days were bastions of free-thinking liberals. They weren't.Continue reading "Why We Hated Ali - And Then Loved Him" »
Posted on Apr 28, 2021
Dodged a bullet.Continue reading "Superleague Failure Good For The Women's Game" »
Posted on Apr 27, 2021
Nicky Two Strikes, Yaz and the Yerminator.Continue reading "Catching Fire" »
Posted on Apr 26, 2021