Beachwood Sports ArchiveA monthly look back
Beachwood Sports VideoPlease Stop Believing 99 Years of Cub Losses The 1908 Song Blame It On Bartman We Can't Wait 100 Years Dusty Must Get Fired
Search The Beachwood Reporter
Subscribe to the Newsletter
There was a big day of racing Saturday at Belmont Park.
And they also ran The Belmont Stakes.
It was just a flighty day.
* Best news, first thing, was that Epicharis, the Japanese horse with a swollen tendon, was a veterinarian scratch. Duh, but you never know in this day and age.
* Pop singer Andy Grammer - I caught 30 seconds and he seems sincere but does what they tell him to - looks to be a nice guy who was happy to experience racing.
He told interviewer Carolyn Manno she looked "freakin' beautful" and she did and is, with a Becky Thatcher look yesterday and a couple of very good questions. Women dig horse racing, believe me.
* Songbird returned in the Ogden Phipps and looked the toughest tomboy on the playground. She had to work for it, but prevailed without the whip. Class will out.
* You think you could get a goddamned answer, but it appears Disco Partner set a world record for six furlongs on the turf, perhaps a world record for six furlongs on any surface, in the Jaipur Invitational.
Trust me, :21.43 and :43.04 in the first two quarters is flying, And he wasn't even leading. He overtook Pure Sensation, who set a track record in this same race a year ago.
* Hall of Fame Jockey Mike Smith won five stakes races, four of them for Bob Baffert. Proof.
* Tapwrit won the Belmont Stakes. If these three-year-olds do anything remarkable for the rest of the year, it will be remarkable.
-More from Beachwood Sports »
Bernstein & McKnight shrug off China's dystopian authoritarianism because, hey, we're all guilty.Continue reading "The NBA, China, The Score & You" »
Posted on Oct 11, 2019
"There's things within [the NFL] that I do not agree with at all, and I was not about to go and be of service to them in any way."Continue reading "'I Just Couldn't Be a Sellout' | Why Rihanna Turned Down The Super Bowl Halftime Show" »
Posted on Oct 10, 2019
In public, he says he just wants to bring joy to the fans who really own his teams. In private, he says finishing second is the best business model because it keeps fans hungry and hopeful.Continue reading "Jerry Reinsdorf Isn't In It For The Money (LOL)" »
Posted on Oct 7, 2019