Beachwood Sports ArchiveA monthly look back
Beachwood Sports VideoPlease Stop Believing 99 Years of Cub Losses The 1908 Song Blame It On Bartman We Can't Wait 100 Years Dusty Must Get Fired
Search The Beachwood Reporter
Subscribe to the Newsletter
There was a big day of racing Saturday at Belmont Park.
And they also ran The Belmont Stakes.
It was just a flighty day.
* Best news, first thing, was that Epicharis, the Japanese horse with a swollen tendon, was a veterinarian scratch. Duh, but you never know in this day and age.
* Pop singer Andy Grammer - I caught 30 seconds and he seems sincere but does what they tell him to - looks to be a nice guy who was happy to experience racing.
He told interviewer Carolyn Manno she looked "freakin' beautful" and she did and is, with a Becky Thatcher look yesterday and a couple of very good questions. Women dig horse racing, believe me.
* Songbird returned in the Ogden Phipps and looked the toughest tomboy on the playground. She had to work for it, but prevailed without the whip. Class will out.
* You think you could get a goddamned answer, but it appears Disco Partner set a world record for six furlongs on the turf, perhaps a world record for six furlongs on any surface, in the Jaipur Invitational.
Trust me, :21.43 and :43.04 in the first two quarters is flying, And he wasn't even leading. He overtook Pure Sensation, who set a track record in this same race a year ago.
* Hall of Fame Jockey Mike Smith won five stakes races, four of them for Bob Baffert. Proof.
* Tapwrit won the Belmont Stakes. If these three-year-olds do anything remarkable for the rest of the year, it will be remarkable.
-More from Beachwood Sports »
"With Surfrider and their strong coalition of grassroots organizations, they fought together against big money, big government, and almost impossible odds to protect one of the world's most iconic waves."Continue reading "How Surfers Saved Trestles" »
Posted on Apr 2, 2020
Times like these open the curtain on who or what people really are.Continue reading "TrackNotes: Dastardly Derby Drama" »
Posted on Mar 29, 2020