Beachwood Sports ArchiveA monthly look back
Beachwood Sports VideoPlease Stop Believing 99 Years of Cub Losses The 1908 Song Blame It On Bartman We Can't Wait 100 Years Dusty Must Get Fired
Search The Beachwood Reporter
Subscribe to the Newsletter
The jokes (almost) write themselves.
* The first 10,000 youngsters in the park receive dark brown bobbleheads of Ryan Theriot and Mike Fontenot.
* The first 10,000 fans receive BP/Cubbie tarballs.
* The Cup goes to the team with the leakiest bullpen.
* Instead of All-Star balloting, fans will be given a ballot to choose biggest disaster: the Cubs roster, the White Sox roster or the leaking oil well.
* Carlos Silva and Bobby Jenks compete to see who can sit on oil well first to stop the leak.
* Jokester BP reps coat the Crosstown Trophy with oil so the trophy slips out of winning team's hands. BP reps yell "Gotcha!"
* All fans in attendance receive 1,300 gallons of crude.
* BP estimates Mark Buehrle's ERA at 5.40, although independent analyses at Tulane and the University of Florida suggest this number is really somewhere between 19.65 and 22.74.
* If the Cubs win, Obama will go on national television and tell everyone how "disappointed" he is and wishes someone would do something about the Sox hitting.
* The Presidential Commission on Offensive Mediocrity will have its recommendations for the 2010 White Sox ready for Opening Day, 2012.
* Obama will also consult experts to determine which White Sox's ass to kick.
* Obama: "You know, I was a Cubs fan growing up . . . "
* Electrolux trumps BP sponsorship at the last minute to see which team *really* sucks the most.
* Leak is plugged before Ted Lilly wins another game: 5:2
* Leak is plugged before Mark Kotsay raises his batting average over .220: Even
* BP commits fewer errors this weekend than the White Sox infield: 1:4
BP Problems v. Cubs/Sox Problems
BP: Executives worried about getting asses kicked by Obama
Cubs: Executives worried about getting asses kicked by Pirates
BP: Concerns about inability to drill in deep water
Sox: Concerns about inability of starters to go deep into games
BP: Facing PR embarrassment if crowds boo during Cubs-Sox series
BP: Watching profits dry up as oil continues to spill
Cubs: Watching profits dry up as Ramirez continues to cash checks
BP: Early summer of 2010 turning into disastrous period in company history
BP: Can't control a spewing toxic geyser
Sox: Can't control Ozzie's postgame rants
BP: Old company facing possible ugly end to storied history
Cubs: Old manager facing possibly ugly end to storied career
BP: Hope to have spill wrapped up by fall
Cubs/Sox: Hope Chicagoans go back to focusing on the Hawks by fall
BP: Take out full-page newspaper ad to apologize for Gulf spill
Sox: Take out full-page newspaper ad to apologize for Hawk Harrelson
BP: Hoping unlikely methods work to stave off further spill damage
Cubs: Hoping unlikely All-Star (Silva) works to stave off last place
BP: Changed name and logo without changing core business
Cubs: Changed owners without changing core roster
BP: Killing marlins and rays
Cubs: Getting killed by Marlins
Sox: Getting killed by Rays
BP: If spill situation isn't remarkably better by July, jobs will be in jeopardy
Cubs/Sox: If W-L records aren't remarkably better by July, veterans will be in jeopardy
Contributing: Matt Farmer, Don Jacobson, Marty Gangler, Drew Adamek, Scott Buckner and the inimitable Beachwood Mark.
More from Beachwood Sports »
Quit the hyperbole and just let the kids take their time.Continue reading "The Ghost Of Dayan Viciedo" »
Posted on May 22, 2017