Beachwood Sports ArchiveA monthly look back
Beachwood Sports VideoPlease Stop Believing 99 Years of Cub Losses The 1908 Song Blame It On Bartman We Can't Wait 100 Years Dusty Must Get Fired
Search The Beachwood Reporter
Subscribe to the Newsletter
The Beachwood Radio Sports Hour #291: Derrick Rose Wishes He Was A Dentist & Other Strange Stories Of The Week
Rich basketball player jealous of teeth-pullers. Plus: Joe Maddon Is A Liar And Clever Things To Say About The Buffalo Sabres, The Houston Asterisks, John Henry, Charles Barkley, The Chicago Bulls, The Chicago Blackhawks, Adderall & eSports; Bobby Knight; Jason Kipnis, Spring Training, PECOTA, Kenny Williams and Illinois' Basketball Nation.
:32: What's The Deal With The Buffalo Sabres?
"Wanting a name other than 'bison' (a generic stock name used by Buffalo sports teams for decades), the Knoxes commissioned a name-the-team contest. With names like 'Mugwumps,' 'Buzzing Bees' and 'Flying Zeppelins' being entered, the winning choice, 'Sabres,' was chosen because Seymour Knox felt a sabre, a weapon carried by a leader, could be effective on offense and defense."
* Jim Crane grinds Coach's gears.
* Permission to buzz the Astros' towers? "That's a negative, Ghostrider, the pattern is full."
5:26: Betts Is Off.
* John Henry vs. Jim Hendry.
* Mookie Betts vs. Jerome Betts.
8:08: Derrick Rose Wishes He Was A Dentist.
"I hate living with boundaries. It kills me when I go on vacation and I just know people are chilling there as a dentist or somebody with a regular job. They're able to live the life to just walk around freely, and I'm jealous of that, because deep down I want that, but I can't have it, so be careful for what you pray for because you'll never know how it'll turn out."
10:50: Charles Barkley Is The Funniest Man In Sports Media.
* Coach: "He's. Just. Funny."
* Listen here.
11:30: Bulls Should Be Embarrassed Hosting All-Star Game.
* Rhodes asks dumb media narrative question.
* Coach: "It's certainly a black eye for the Bulls.
* Rhodes and coach confuse hockey and basketball all-star games and trade deadlines. Tough week, folks.
15:19: Thank Goodness For Spring Training.
* But not Crane Kenney.
20:38: White Sox Report Hurt.
22:16: Kenny Williams Is Still A Thing.
* Morrissey: 'Has fingers on rebuild.'
* Jake Odorizzi is still a Twin.
Also: "Odorizzi attended Highland High School in Highland, Illinois, where he helped lead the Highland Bulldogs to the Illinois state championship."
26:30: The Dodgers Have Already Won The NL.
* Reds are pundits' favorites to win the Central.
27:35: Joe Maddon Is A Liar.
Joe Maddon in September: "This 'philosophical differences' crap that's been written about is not true. It's just not true."— Sahadev Sharma (@sahadevsharma) February 12, 2020
Joe Maddon now: "There was just, you can say, philosophical differences."
Apparently the truth isn't as clear as it once was. https://t.co/rpYgU8eQGk
28:55: Interlude: Jason Kipnis, The XFL, Bobby Knight & Adderalled eSports.
32:36: Blackhawks Back To Bust.
* Where have you gone, Alex DeBrincat? A cold city turns its eyes to you
33:48: Basketball Nation Illinois.
* Arrows up: DePaul Women, Northwestern Women
* Arrows down: Illini Men, DePaul Men, Loyola Men, Northwestern Men
For archives and other Beachwood shows, see The Beachwood Radio Network.
-More from Beachwood Sports »
Adelyn Vigil sometimes dreams of volleyball. Texas Republicans are standing in her way.Continue reading "'Just Let Me Play Sports'" »
Posted on Oct 11, 2021