Beachwood Sports ArchiveA monthly look back
Beachwood Sports VideoPlease Stop Believing 99 Years of Cub Losses The 1908 Song Blame It On Bartman We Can't Wait 100 Years Dusty Must Get Fired
Search The Beachwood Reporter
Subscribe to the Newsletter
Splitsville. Plus: Nick The Stick; Bullpenmanship; Dave Roberts Abused Brandon Morrow, Then Joe Maddon Finished Him; Ben Press; Cards > Brewers; Luke Box; Rickey Rentamanager; and The Kick And The Dead.
* The predictions business.
* Sports betting media.
* We're bringing sharpies back.
9:50: Nick The Stick!
* Mea culpa.
* Solidifies lineup.
* Fun dude.
23:00: Cards > Brewers.
Playoff chances, per Fangraphs:— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) August 23, 2019
25:43: Double Bipolarity.
* Rowan Wick was actually originally drafted by the Brewers in the 19th round of the 2010 draft, according to Baseball Reference, but he did not sign with them. Two years later, the Cardinals drafted him in the 9th round and signed him.
In 2015, he started transitioning from position player to pitcher; 2016 was his first full season on the mound.
In February 2018, the Cardinals waived him; he was selected by the Padres. He reached the majors that year, albeit with just 8 1/3 innings.
In November 2018, the Padres traded him to the Cubs for Jason Vosler (see No. 6 of this Ex-Cub Factor).
* Jesse Rogers, ESPN Chicago: Really, The Cubs' Bullpen Could (Should?) Be A Strength Down The Stretch.
38:37: Dave Roberts Abused Brandon Morrow, Then Joe Maddon Finished Him.
* Rogers: Morrow Done For Season.
* Rhodes: Taking responsibility is performative!
46:20: Ben Press.
* Zobrist will have to address the media.
48:04: Luke Box.
* Shut down Lucas Giolito and encase him in bubble wrap until next year!
51:19: Rickey Rentamanager.
* Wallenstein: Let Rickey Be.
* Twins manager Rocco Baldelli said neither he nor his players had ever seen a suicide squeeze with two strikes in the majors before Renteria had Yolmer Sanchez do it last week.
58:43: The Kick And The Dead.
* Kahler, Sports Illustrated: Madness At 43 Yards: The Bears Kicker Competition Through The Eyes Of Those Who Lived It.
* Petchesky, Deadspin: It Is Hazardous To Be A Bears Kicker Under Matt Nagy.
* Bernstein: SI Raises Questions On Bears' Kicker Saga.
* Dickerson, ESPN: Nagy Defends Bears' Kicker Search Amid Backlash.
* This contest is not over!
For archives and other Beachwood shows, see The Beachwood Radio Network.
-More from Beachwood Sports »
Sports now really a life and death proposition. Plus: The Washington Appropriators: Coach Loves The Princess Bride; Seeing Red Stars; Q-Anon; COVID Cubbie; Dash Cam; Hubba Bubbles; I'd Tap That; and Beachwood Sports Specials.Continue reading "The Beachwood Radio Sports Hour #311: Unless Someone Dies" »
Posted on Jul 3, 2020
The virus doesn't care how much you want to watch a game. Plus: Other Sports Are Also Back Pending Death; Pandemic Baseball Sucks; Hub Bubs; Hall Of Fame Hossa; The Mystery Of Mitch's Motivation; Choking On Chalk; and It Was Unmistakably A Noose.Continue reading "The Beachwood Radio Sports Hour #310: Baseball Is Back! (But Is It Really?)" »
Posted on Jun 26, 2020
Walls are falling. Plus: Rob Manfred Is A Cop; Wet Hot American Long Gone Summer; Bubble Life; Better At It Than Baseball; and Belmont Betting.Continue reading "The Beachwood Radio Sports Hour #309: Life In The Fast Lane" »
Posted on Jun 19, 2020
A moment when everything seems possible. Plus: MLB Draft's Dizzying Heights Of Hype; We Blame The (Lying) Owners; The Neverending Sammy Sosa Saga; and NBA & NHL Flux.Continue reading "The Beachwood Radio Sports Hour #308: We're All NASCAR Now" »
Posted on Jun 12, 2020