Beachwood Sports ArchiveA monthly look back
Beachwood Sports VideoPlease Stop Believing 99 Years of Cub Losses The 1908 Song Blame It On Bartman We Can't Wait 100 Years Dusty Must Get Fired
Search The Beachwood Reporter
Subscribe to the Newsletter
Go get an elite player in push for World Series - but do so under an artificial budget imposed by Tom Ricketts that depended on a player unexpectedly getting waylaid by a divorce. Plus: Joe Sheehan Sucks; CarGo, We Go?; How Pedro Strop Is Like Cheap Trick; Freezing Cold Takes; The White Sox Could Have Easily Afforded Keuchel; The Chicago Media Got The Tim Anderson Imbroglio Exactly Wrong; Bears B.S.; The Raptors Could Actually Win This Thing; and The Blues Could Actually Win This Thing.
* 255. (Ha ha, perfect.)
1:13: The Craig Kimbrel Signing Is So Cub.
* Go get an elite player in push for World Series - but do so under artificial budget imposed by Tom Ricketts.
* Keg Kimbrel.
* Coffman demonstrates:
* Karate Kimbrel.
* Rhodes: "The only thing wrong with this signing is that they didn't do it sooner."
9:03 White Sox Could Have Easily Afforded Keuchel.
* C'mon, Hahn!
10:03: Ownership Did Not "Step Up."
Major move with definite impact. Only cost is $$, not players. Strengthens weakest position, solidifies Cubs as World Series contender. This is ownership stepping up. https://t.co/yo2tS7nqoZ— David Haugh (@DavidHaugh) June 6, 2019
It sure does not sound like it. When Theo said "unexpected variables" giving them flexibility that sounds like Zo's salary, no? So this 'ownership stepped' up narrative might be overplayed. I mean, they could have stepped up 2 months ago and not blown the most 9th inning leads... https://t.co/InIxP9unNb— Jesse Rogers (@ESPNChiCubs) June 6, 2019
13:10: No Mo Zo.
16:53: Cubs Closing Carousel.
22:23: Joe Sheehan Sucks.
* Rhodes: I'd show you his tweets but I'm blocked for no good reason other than I pointed out an inaccuracy or diplomatically disagreed with him on something. So I can only show you the other side of the conversation:
Joe. Joe! He fanned 40% of the batters he faced last year. Even when he nominally struggled in October, the stuff was elite and the mechanics were fine. He lost his command for a fortnight and still wasn't that bad. Craig Kimbrel is still a Great reliever. https://t.co/w1ejQ3nDq7— Matthew Trueblood (@MATrueblood) June 5, 2019
We've seen plenty of great bat-missing, homer-limiting relievers survive with poor walk rates. Gimme that stock. Dude should have signed a four-year deal six months ago. Whichever team signs him will regret only not having done it sooner. https://t.co/1IQk2O9IsB— Matthew Trueblood (@MATrueblood) June 5, 2019
33:19: CarGo, We Go?
38:12: Validating Kimbrel.
* Rays and Twins were in on him.
39:55: Freezing Cold Takes.
* How too much of sportswriting - and political reporting - works.
* Morrissey: With Home Run Totals Up Again, Should We Be Talking About PEDs Anew? (Rhodes and Coffman: No.)
45:10: Theo's Summertime Moves.
* Coffman: Jose Quintana can't get over the hump to give you sex.
* Rhodes: The Q Man. Giggity.
* MLBTradeRumors: "Epstein has been active on the trade market throughout his Chicago tenure, making at least one deadline acquisition each season dating back to 2015: Dan Haren (2015), Aroldis Chapman & Mike Montgomery (2016), Jose Quintana, Alex Avila & Justin Wilson (2017), Cole Hamels, Brandon Kintzler & Jesse Chavez (2018). There aren't many misses in this group either, as most of these acquisitions have found ways to contribute (nor are there many position players).
"This year, of course, they won't have the August 31 deadline to take advantage of as they have in every season since emerging as surprise contenders in 2015: Austin Jackson & Fernando Rodney (2015), Joe Smith (2016), Leonys Martin (2017) and Daniel Murphy (2018)."
49:20: How Pedro Strop Is Like Cheap Trick.
51:15: The Raptors Could Actually Win This Thing.
* Toronto population: 2.93 million.
* Greater Toronto: 5.9 million.
* Toronto is the fourth-largest city in North America, having passed Chicago in 2013.
* Toronto is Charles Barkley's favorite city.
* In a better world, Steve Kerr would coach the Bulls and Adam Silver would commission every sports league.
1:00:40: The Blues Could Actually Win This Thing.
* Judgement calls.
1:04:06 Bears B.S.
* Trubisky is AWESOME; Augusta Silence!; Cordarelle Patterson Is Passing!
1:05:23: Chicago Media Got The Tim Anderson Imbroglio Exactly Wrong.
* Shame on Jason Benetti, Steve Stone, Dan Bernstein, Connor McKnight and all the rest of 'em! Stow your hometown prisms and act like professionals.
For archives and other Beachwood shows, see The Beachwood Radio Network.
-More from Beachwood Sports »
Will Bob Baffert ever go away? Churchill Downs Inc.: It's just what they do. Dickie D. dead. Cliches can shape your biorhythms. Double-teaming justice. You look just like. We asked one person, me.Continue reading "TrackNotes: Back To The Future" »
Posted on Jan 28, 2022
Electric, indefatigable and, finally, undenied.Continue reading "Minnie Miñoso Was Very, Very Good To Us" »
Posted on Dec 9, 2021