Beachwood Sports ArchiveA monthly look back
Beachwood Sports VideoPlease Stop Believing 99 Years of Cub Losses The 1908 Song Blame It On Bartman We Can't Wait 100 Years Dusty Must Get Fired
Search The Beachwood Reporter
Subscribe to the Newsletter
Excuses exhausted. Plus: Patrick Mannelly Great Ever; The St. Louis Bores; Astros Series Asinine; Defining Darvish Down; Contreras Can't Catch; The Dooche; Justin Verlander Reminds Us He Wanted To Be A Cub; The Cubs' Bill Buckner; White Sox Wild?; Burton's Boo-Boo; Stanley Cup Finals Moves To Nation's Most Boring City; and Why You Should Both Love Steve Kerr And Root For The Raptors.
* Get it done, MLB.
#Cubs general manager Jed Hoyer calls for extending protective netting in ballparks: "There's just no way to react. Our fielders can barely react at times with a hard line drive. To expect a parent or a kid to react ... it's not realistic."https://t.co/C2CJuo8mri pic.twitter.com/XBQASqNJEx— 670 The Score (@670TheScore) May 31, 2019
Shed Long -- a 23 y/o major league baseball player, in peak physical condition, wearing a glove, 175 ft from home plate -- didn't play this cleanly & was left shaking his hand in pain.— Levi Weaver (@ThreeTwoEephus) May 30, 2019
But tell me again how grandma in section 119 just needs to "pay closer attention to the game" pic.twitter.com/8NuYtMQbKh
Author @StephenKing lamenting new safety netting at Fenway Park in 2016 @BostonGlobe op-ed: "I understand the Red Sox bear some responsibility, but I also accept my responsibility to take care of myself -- to the best of my ability -- when I'm at the ballpark."— Nick Francona (@NickFrancona) May 31, 2019
Also @StephenKing: pic.twitter.com/0MgGYdQy4Y
There are so many bad + dishonest arguments against extended netting, but I *really* dislike the one that this is a recent problem that could be fixed if people would only get off their phones. This is from 1952, and there are tons of similar stories: pic.twitter.com/71nLdTxf4o— Emma Baccellieri (@emmabaccellieri) May 30, 2019
Japan has netting from foul pole to foul pole, it's way past time for that in America.— Sean Holland (@sth85) May 30, 2019
10:45: The St. Louis Bores.
* Mark Gonzales actually wrote this - and his editors allowed it to be published:
What's worse, having your city jokingly referred to as being boring?
Or having a retooled team with realistic playoff ambitions test your patience during an 8-18 May?
That's the dilemma facing Cardinals fans certain to be invigorated this weekend by the presence of the Cubs and slugger Kris Bryant, who jokingly referred to St. Louis as "boring" during a lighthearted fireside chat with Ryan Dempster at the Cubs Convention in January.
* St. Louis doesn't even have the Bowling Hall of Fame anymore!
20:23: Astros Series Asinine.
* A week of "three true outcome" baseball.
* Javy Baez's platinum sombrero.
23:38: Defining Darvish Down.
* Stop grading on a sliding scale.
28:14: Contreras Can't Catch.
* No wonder he used to play outfield.
34:34: The Dooche.
* When you call up Jim Adduci, you are missing Ben Zobrist something awful and Ian Happ is nowhere near ready to return to the major leagues. So then you add Carlos Gonzalez.
* And Daniel Descalso has been exposed.
* Weekly Tommy La Stella shout out.
43:54: Reminder: Justin Verlander Wanted To Be A Cub.
* Got Cole Hamels a year later instead.
48:45: The Cubs' Bill Buckner.
* Coffman: "My primary memory of Bill Buckner was of him lashing the ball down the right field line. It was amazing how many of those beautiful line drives one-hopped the wall near the corner. I felt like practically every time I tuned into a Cubs game in the early '80s he was good for a double, and was pleased to confirm that he led the National League in two-baggers in both '81 and '83. I will have a little something to say about the rest of his career later on."
* Rhodes: Media: Bill Buckner Shouldn't Be Defined By The One Play We're Defining Him By.
* Larry David rehabilitates Buck:
1:00:55: White Sox Wild?
* Coffman: "They're not dead yet!"
* Why Dallas Keuchel perfectly fits the rebuild timeline.
1:07:54: Trey Burton's Boo-Boo.
1:10:35: Why You Should Both Love Steve Kerr And Root For The Raptors.
This is fantastic. Read through the thread. Great stuff.. https://t.co/DwaqibWjSJ— Steve Kerr (@SteveKerr) May 27, 2019
Plus . . .
steve kerr on raptors fans:— Yahoo Sports Canada (@YahooCASports) May 31, 2019
"the canadian fans are so nice even when they're harassing us they do it in a polite manner." pic.twitter.com/kGAaBX4BDm
For archives and other Beachwood shows, see The Beachwood Radio Network.
-More from Beachwood Sports »
Adelyn Vigil sometimes dreams of volleyball. Texas Republicans are standing in her way.Continue reading "'Just Let Me Play Sports'" »
Posted on Oct 11, 2021