Beachwood Sports ArchiveA monthly look back
Beachwood Sports VideoPlease Stop Believing 99 Years of Cub Losses The 1908 Song Blame It On Bartman We Can't Wait 100 Years Dusty Must Get Fired
Search The Beachwood Reporter
Subscribe to the Newsletter
Winning Weird: Everything's Coming Up Cub; Grandpa!; Tommy La Stella's Search For Purpose; Jason Heyward Is A Remarkably Bad Hitter Right Now; Funky Drumming Bullpen; All Addison Russell Does Is Hit With Runners In Scoring Position.
Plus: MLB Forces White Sox To Finish Season; Tickets Will Actually Be Sold. Call Team For More Information.
And: We Miss Matt Slauson, And So Too, Apparently, Do The Bears; Denver's Wildcat; This Is It, John Fox; We're Already Tired Of You Going 6-10 Every Year.
Finally: Amazing Feats Of Human Endeavor (Rio 2016 So Far).
:22: Winning Weird.
* Happy Coghlan.
Coghlan also did this:
And, last week, this:
Everything's Coming Up Cub.
* The bunt.
* The pickoff.
23:00: Funky Drumming Bullpen.
26:29: Jason Heyward Is A Remarkably Bad Hitter Right Now.
* Buried in badness.
* Paging Butch Harmon!
29:30: All Addison Russell Does Is Hit With Runners In Scoring Position.
34:02: MLB Forces White Sox To Finish Season; Tickets Will Actually Be Sold. Call Team For More Information.
34:20: We Miss Matt Slauson, And So Too, Apparently, Do The Bears.
* "Matt Slauson really helps you appreciate how bad Trevor Robinson was. He's very solid and you can tell how much easier the guards' jobs are now. Orlando Franklin should have a much better season thanks to the addition of Slauson."
("Slauson graciously does every interview asked of him.")
* Apparently John Fox wants lineman who can pull and block downfield and they didn't think Slauson was athletic enough for that type of scheme. But then, you'd think he would have kept Martellus Bennett, an underappreciated downfield blocker. (And Matt Forte.)
* Clearly Fox believes in scheme first, rather than building around the personnel you have. Perhaps that's what's worked for him in the past, but some of us disagree with that approach - at least when your personnel set is talented enough to build around.
37:10: Denver's Wildcat.
* We have Hoyer.
44:05: This Is It, John Fox; We're Already Tired Of You Going 6-10 Every Year.
* That goes for you, too, Ryan Pace.
49:21: Amazing Feats Of Human Endeavor (Rio 2016 So Far).
* "Team USA's Mara Abbott on losing her lead and finishing fourth: 'OMG, this is going to happen - and then they passed me.'"
* See also: Mara Abbott Fighting Anorexia And Financial Chasm.
* Brennan: "When you consider the National Football League had to cancel its Hall of Fame game because of a problem on the field, they couldn't put on one football game, and here Rio is seemingly them moving ahead with all of these venues, and so far, so good."
* Compare and contrast.
For archives and other Beachwood shows, see The Beachwood Radio Network.
-More from Beachwood Sports »
Baffert is a serial cheat and oh, by the way, he also kills horses.Continue reading "TrackNotes: The Baffert Stakes" »
Posted on Jul 20, 2021
A must-win series? Hardly.Continue reading "That Was Fun - But Not Necessary" »
Posted on Jul 19, 2021
Front-office fail. Plus: White Sox Begin Ceremonial Second Half; Party Time Italian-Style; Dunkin' Keith; Party Time Bobby Portis-Style; Scottie Gonna Pippen; Bears OLs Catch Up With Cutler; Candace's Cover; Red Stars Pwn Dash; On Wisconsin; and more!Continue reading "The Beachwood Radio Sports Hour #365: Wobbly Cubs Change Climate" »
Posted on Jul 16, 2021
Billionaire owners are consistently paying lower tax rates than their millionaire players - and often lower even than the rates paid by the workers who staff their stadiums. The massive reductions on personal tax bills that owners glean from their teams come on top of the much-criticized subsidies the teams get from local governments for new stadiums and further deplete federal coffers that fund everything from the military to medical research to food stamps and other safety net programs.Continue reading "The Billionaire Playbook: How Sports Owners Use Their Teams To Avoid Millions In Taxes" »
Posted on Jul 13, 2021