Beachwood Sports ArchiveA monthly look back
Beachwood Sports VideoPlease Stop Believing 99 Years of Cub Losses The 1908 Song Blame It On Bartman We Can't Wait 100 Years Dusty Must Get Fired
Search The Beachwood Reporter
Subscribe to the Newsletter
A guide to getting into the proper mindset today.
1. "In the end, the Flyers dominated the third period," Barry Petchesky writes at Deadspin. "And losing a pair of one-goal games at the United Center is nothing to sneeze at. But in the end, it's frustrating, and that frustration spilled over after the final horn. Chris Pronger went to retrieve a puck from the ice (as he had in game 1). Ben Eager, the ex-Flyer who scored the GWG, told him he could keep it. Pronger responded with a snap shot, sending a towel on the ice, at Eager.
From Pronger's postgame chat with the media:
Where's the puck?
"It's in the garbage. Where it belongs."
You shot a towel at Eager when he complained?
You're collecting pucks now?
"Why not? What's wrong? It's sitting there. What else is gonna happen to it? It's sitting there. Sure, why not. You got a problem with that?"
Are you gonna sell it on eBay?
"I don't know. Apparently, it got him upset. So I guess it worked, didn't it? It's too bad. I guess little things amuse little minds."
2. "NBC Sports' coverage of Game 2 of the Stanley Cup Final on Monday night earned the best overnight rating (4.1 rating and 7 share) for a Game 2 on record (NHL overnight data prior to 1975 is unavailable) and was up 21 percent from last year's (3.4 rating for Game 2 of the series between Detroit and Pittsburgh)," NHL.com reports.
"NBC's broadcast of the game between the Philadelphia Flyers and Chicago Blackhawks peaked at a 4.7 rating and 8 share from 10:30-11 p.m. ET. The Chicago market delivered a 25.1/39, while Philadelphia earned an 18.5/29."
Top 10 Markets for First Two Games on NBC
1. Chicago: 21.0. Bill Wirtz rolls over in his grave.
2. Philadelphia: 15.9. Would've been higher if We Still Hate Donovan McNabb Meetup wasn't that night.
3. Buffalo: 8.8. Would've been higher if not for cabbie boycott.
4. Pittsburgh: 4.5. Everyone else was watching the Pirates smack down the Cubs again.
5. Indianapolis: 4.0. Attributed to rumors that three new Peyton Manning commercials would air during the game.
6. Detroit:3.8. Would've been higher if Nielsen counted stolen TVs.
7. Ft. Myers: 3.5. Big Flyers retirement community.
8. Las Vegas: 3.3. Not much else to bet on this time of year.
T9. Orlando: 3.2. It's a small world after all.
T9. Columbus: 3.2. Nothing else to do there.
T9. St. Louis: 3.2. A total lack of imagination spurs rooting against Blackhawks.
Note: tonight's game is on Versus.
4. Mayoral bet: If the Flyers win, Chicago Mayor Richard M. Daley gets to shove a cheesesteak up Philadelphia Mayor's Michael Nutter's butt. If the Flyers win, Nutter gets to kiss Daley's ass.
6. Drink every time somebody makes a Bill Wirtz joke or mentions cheesesteak.
7. They do have this.
-More from Beachwood Sports »
Wendell Scott was to NASCAR what Jackie Robinson was to baseball. The difference was that Robinson played in liberal Brooklyn and had the backing of Branch Rickey, and Scott raced in the segregated South and had . . . nobody."Continue reading "Driven: The Story Of The First African American Inducted Into The NASCAR Hall Of Fame" »
Posted on Jun 20, 2017
Motivating Mike - and Matt.Continue reading "Pelfrey's Proof " »
Posted on Jun 19, 2017
And help may not be on the way. Plus: On Hahn; The Human Journey Of Scott Darling; Bears Look Good Against The Bears!; Dwyane Wade's Fake News; What Kevin Durant Has Done; The Pens & P.K.; and Schweinsteiger!Continue reading "The Beachwood Radio Sports Hour #157: The Cubs Are Officially In Trouble" »
Posted on Jun 16, 2017