Beachwood Sports ArchiveA monthly look back
Beachwood Sports VideoPlease Stop Believing 99 Years of Cub Losses The 1908 Song Blame It On Bartman We Can't Wait 100 Years Dusty Must Get Fired
Search The Beachwood Reporter
Subscribe to the Newsletter
Many fantasy leagues starting their playoff schedule this week (Week 14 on the fantasy calendar). While you might think there is no way at this point to improve a team sitting on the playoff bubble enough to sneak into the championship round, you could very well be wrong.
In Week 13, and in recent weeks, we've seen a number of players trending upward at just the right time.
* Tre Mason, RB, STL: He's been on fire since taking over the starting job from Zac Stacy, but hit a new high in Week 13 with 117 yards rushing, 47 yards receiving and three TDs overall. True, it came against the hapless Oakland Raiders, but it was Mason's second 100-yards-plus rushing outing in the last three weeks. Only 70% owned in Yahoo! leagues as of Tuesday, though that must be changing by the hour.
* Ryan Fitzpatrick, QB, HOU: Probably no more than a desperation play, but after his 358 yards passing and six TDs in Week 13, he demands to be noticed. With Ryan Mallet, the rookie QB who had replaced him, injured and out of his hair, Fitzpatrick is back running a run-heavy attack, but his next four weeks of match-ups - JAC, IND, BAL, JAC - look favorable for his skills as a passer, and his two talented deep threats, Andre Johnson and DeAndre Hopkins. Not surprisingly, he's only 9% owned.
* Isaiah Crowell, RB, CLE: Didn't have his best week in Week 13, with only 29 yards against the tough Buffalo rush defense, but the bigger news out of last week is that rookie Johnny Manziel took over at QB during that game and likely will start this week. Manziel moves much better than previous starter Brian Hoyer, and is a bigger threat as a passer, too, both of which should be good for giving Crowell more running room and potential to catch a few more passes in space. Crowell's just 67% owned, surprising after a two-TD Week 12 outing.
* Jarvis Landry, WR, MIA: Yet another rookie making a big splash in the second half. His season-high eight catches in Week 13 for 68 yards are making him look like the No. 1 receiver in Miami, rather than No. 2 to Mike Wallace. Landry scored twice in Week 12, and the Dolphins have been winning more with Landry involved. This week features a soft match-up against BAL. At 41% ownership, it's time to go get him.
* SI.com looks at Johnny Football's prospects, along with other hot pick-ups.
* Sporting News has fantasy defense rankings for Week 14, with Dallas surprisingly only a two-star pick against the nothing-to-play-for Bears.
* The Talented Mr. Roto offers up his Week 14 rankings.
Dan O'Shea is our man in fantasyland. He welcomes your comments.
Neither is No. 1, but . . .Continue reading "The 2017 Fantasy Fix Draft Guide, Pt. 1: Bryzzo" »
Posted on Feb 24, 2017