Beachwood Sports ArchiveA monthly look back
Beachwood Sports VideoPlease Stop Believing 99 Years of Cub Losses The 1908 Song Blame It On Bartman We Can't Wait 100 Years Dusty Must Get Fired
Search The Beachwood Reporter
Subscribe to the Newsletter
Tom Ricketts finally dribbled out his family's renovation plans for Wrigley Field on Tuesday, in advance of his big presentation at the City Club today showing why we should all take pity on how one of America's richest families is being restrained from running its own business by pesky binding contracts, existing preservation law, city building and zoning codes, annoying neighbors and general Kubs Karma. Hint: The new Wrigley will look like an LED sign convention.
The Beachwood, as usual, has obtained the Ricketts' confidential companion marketing plan to the renovation. Here are the highlights:
* LED ribbons on players' bats.
* LED ribbons on players' hats.
* LED ribbons on all black cats.
* LED ribbons on Wrigley's rats.
* LED ribbons on Dale's tats.
* Instead of walk-up songs, Cubs batters will choose walk-up commercials.
* Fans will be replaced by renderings of fans.
* Team will save money by not counting Cubs errors.
* Actual games will be played at Payton Prep while Wrigley will be used for concerts, hockey games and Northwestern football.
* Relief pitchers to be driven to mound in cars sponsored by Bob Rohrman.
* Revenue from every beer sold goes to fund Joe Ricketts' next movie.
* Views from the rooftops to be shielded by Romulan cloaking device.
* Mark Grace's car will be retired in the first of a new series of promotions.
* Farm system will actually become a system of working farms.
* The proposed Triangle Building will become a Triangle Waistshirt Factory.
* Wrigley Field to be renamed after Bazooka unless Wrigley Company ponies up the sponsorship dough.
* Team will save money by combining TV and radio broadcasters into one position and giving the job to this guy.
* Team will change name to the Chicago Nikes unless Lincoln Park Zoo coughs up the sponsorship dough.
* The Captain Morgan Club will be renamed The J.P. Morgan Club.
* In what is sure to be a winner, team will lease all seats to Chicago Parking Meters LLC for the next 75 years in exchange for a big upfront payment.
-More from Beachwood Sports »
Defense to get more aggressive, incur more penalties. Plus: The Cubs Did Not Respect 90 Last Year And No One Was Held Accountable; Budget Bullpen Breaks; New Rules, Fools!; Sister Jean Has Down Year; College Admissions' Side Doors; Duncan Keith, Biohacker; Alma Otter!; Puck Drop; and Schweinsteiger!Continue reading "The Beachwood Radio Sports Hour #243: Bears Make Big Little Moves; Cubs Building A Mystery " »
Posted on Mar 15, 2019
Those ensnared in the current criminal case - which alleges that they paid for their children to get spots on the sports teams of big-name schools - couldn't have succeeded if the college admissions process wasn't already biased toward wealthier families.Continue reading "College Admission Scandal Grew Out Of A System Already Rigged With 'Side Doors'" »
Posted on Mar 15, 2019