Chicago - Jul. 7, 2020

From: Democratic Party
Subject: [birthday cake] Sign President Obama's card [birthday cake]
Date: July 30, 2013 5:41:03 PM CDT
Reply-To: Tim Kaine

20130730-potus-birthday.jpg

From: David Axelrod
Subject: I knew it as soon as the phone rang
Date: July 31, 2013 8:19:36 AM CDT
Reply-To: info@barackobama.com

Steve --

Whenever my phone rang to the tune of Stevie Wonder's "Signed, Sealed, Delivered (I'm Yours)," I knew who was calling.

And whenever President Obama called me, sometimes late at night, he was calling to work -- we'd spend hours talking through the issues, and the reasons that drove him to run for president.

Looking back, so many of those issues are the same ones we're still fighting for today. And one thing I admire about the President is that he's never taken for granted the people who are fighting alongside him.

You make change possible.

That's why I know President Obama would love to hear from you on his birthday this Sunday.

Join me and take a moment to sign OFA's birthday card for the President:

Thanks for all you're doing,

David

From: Jon Carson, BarackObama.com
Subject: Sign the birthday card for President Obama
Date: August 1, 2013 1:42:49 PM CDT
Reply-To: info@barackobama.com

Steve --

Everyone likes getting birthday cards -- and this one is for the President.

His birthday is on Sunday -- make sure you sign it before we send it along.

You can leave a note, or just sign your name.

What matters is that the President gets to see the well wishes from OFA supporters across the country. That's pretty cool to think about.

I already signed it -- join me?

Thanks,

Jon

Jon Carson
Executive Director
Organizing for Action

From: Robert Gibbs
Subject: Sign POTUS's birthday card
Date: August 2, 2013 10:22:13 AM CDT
Reply-To: Tim Kaine

Steve --

I gotta say, when I started working for then-State Senator Barack Obama, we didn't think much of his taste in ties.

Just over nine years ago, he was about to go onstage to give his speech at the Democratic National Convention -- the one where he first called himself "a skinny kid with a funny name" -- and he had picked out a hideous tie for the occasion. Axelrod liked the tie I was wearing better, and Michelle agreed -- so Barack put on my tie, and off he went to deliver one of the best speeches anyone's ever heard.

After the speech, I forgot about the tie, and didn't see it again for seven years -- not until my last day as White House Press Secretary, when President Obama gave it back to me in a frame with a picture of him wearing it at the 2004 convention.

It's funny: Most times, a tie isn't a very thoughtful gift.

But it's this type of thoughtfulness that I think makes the President a great leader for the American people -- and what makes him such a good friend, husband, and dad.

His birthday is this Sunday, and I know he'd appreciate it if you took a second to add your name to his card and leave him a note:

Thanks,

Robert

Robert Gibbs

P.S. -- Sometimes a little gesture (or a tie) can mean a lot. I know the President appreciates knowing you have his back. Add your name before the big day.

From: Jim Messina, BarackObama.com
Subject: Take a minute to sign the card for the President
Date: August 2, 2013 10:43:19 AM CDT
Reply-To: info@barackobama.com

Steve --

I know we've asked a lot of you -- hell, I've done a lot of the asking.

But now it's time to have a little fun.

The President's 52nd birthday is on Sunday -- let's help him celebrate.

Take a few seconds and sign OFA's birthday card for President Obama.

I've been on the President's side through some tough fights, and one of the things I respect most about him is that he never makes any decision because it's easy, or because it's what would be best for him politically.

He does what he thinks is right for the country -- no matter what. In every decision, he's thinking about the people he went to Washington to fight for.

This birthday card is a nice way for us to say thanks, and to let him know we're still out here fighting alongside him.

I hope you'll take a minute out of your day to say happy birthday.

Join me and sign OFA's birthday card for the President today:

Thanks,

Messina

Jim Messina
Chair
Organizing for Action

From: Organizing for Action
Subject: [music note] Happy birthday, President Obama [music note]
Date: August 2, 2013 4:10:11 PM CDT
Reply-To: info@barackobama.com

HappyBirthday-share-r3-web.jpg

From: Democratic Party
Subject: Turn that frown upside down
Date: August 3, 2013 8:28:17 AM CDT
Reply-To: Tim Kaine

20130803-potus-frown.jpg

From: Julianna Smoot, BarackObama.com
Subject: Sign President Obama's birthday card?
Date: August 3, 2013 11:32:20 AM CDT
Reply-To: info@barackobama.com

Steve --

I try to stay out of your inbox these days -- but with President Obama's birthday coming up on Sunday, I had to ask for just one easy thing.

OFA is putting together a card for the President. Make sure your name is on it.

After you sign the card, you can leave a note, too.

President Obama always takes some time to read what people send in -- and I know he loves hearing from grassroots supporters like you.

Sign the card and let him know you're thinking of him on his birthday:

Thanks -- I've missed you!

Julianna

BirthdayKickers-3.jpg

From: Michelle Obama
Subject: Sign Barack's card
Date: August 4, 2013 12:45:08 PM CDT
Reply-To: Tim Kaine

Steve --

Barack's 52nd birthday is today -- and I want to make sure you have a chance to wish him all the best.

Add your name to Barack's birthday card now.

I've been doing these cards for Barack for a few years now, and I can't tell you how much he enjoys getting messages from folks like you.

He thinks of you all each day when he heads into work, and it's Americans like you who he's fighting for every single day.

Sign this card and let him know that you're with him as he works to make sure every person has health care they can count on, to continue building our economy so it works for everyone, to keep fighting climate change, and to protect women's rights.

Add your name now:

Thanks,

Michelle

From: Organizing for Action
Subject: Last call: Sign the President's birthday card
Date: August 4, 2013 5:19:17 PM CDT
Reply-To: info@barackobama.com

BirthdayKickers-2.jpg

Comments welcome.

Posted on August 8, 2013

MUSIC - Pandemophenia.
TV - NBC's Bicentennial Special.
POLITICS - A New Minimum Merger Maxim.
SPORTS - WNBA Dedicates Season To Social Justice.

BOOKS - The Legacy Of Racism For Children.

PEOPLE PLACES & THINGS - Sea Control: Why Chicago?

Search The Beachwood Reporter