Chicago - Mar. 19, 2022
Music TV Politics Sports Books People Places & Things
Beachwood PP&T
Our monthly PP&T archive.
Rhymes for the Times.
Beachwood Bookmarks
So You've Decided To Be Evil
Vintage Beer Signs
Easy Bar Tricks
Best of Craigslist
Wacky Packages
Taquitos Snack Food Reviews
How Products Are Made
Everyday Mysteries
Chicago Zombie
Texts From Last Night
Fuck My Life
Awkward Family Photos
Ultra Local Geography
Best Pinball Machine Ever
Land of Sky Beer Waters
Calumet 412
Chicago Patterns
Vince Michael's Time Tells
Renegades of Funk Chicago
History vs. Hollywood

Survivor Of Holiday Lighting Accident Shares Life-Saving Safety Lessons

SPRINGFELD, Ill. - Thanksgiving weekend for millions is when the boxes of lights come out and the holiday decorating begins. Unfortunately, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission reports that more than 12,500 people are sent to the emergency room every holiday season because of injuries sustained from lighting and decorating. To keep the holiday season merry and bright, learn from the tragic experience of Shawn Miller who encourages people to educate themselves about electrical safety to avoid tragedy.

"I was just hanging Christmas lights at my mom's house like I do every year," explains Miller. "Only this time, I was decorating a new area - the trees that lined the front of the yard." As he tossed lights up into the trees, 7,200 volts of electricity entered his body, traveling from the overhead power lines through his strand of lights. He suffered 27 exit wounds as well as the loss of his left hand and a finger on his right hand.

"Please take note of your surroundings before decorating outside," Miller urges, "especially power lines and the service connection to your home. Make sure to keep yourself, ladders, and lights far away from them. I'm lucky to be alive. I want everyone to be careful - be aware of power lines."

"Shawn Miller has a lot to teach us about electrical safety, and we are grateful he has shared his story," says Molly Hall, executive director of the Safe Electricity program.

Miller worked with the Safe Electricity program to create public service announcements and a video of his story to help others learn from his experience.

"Had I known more before this happened, I might still have two hands and the job I loved," Miller says. "I want to help people learn from what has happened to me. Safe Electricity is helping me help others."

Safe Electricity shares the following tips for those who are undertaking outdoor lighting and decorating projects to help them do safely:

  • When decorating outside, look up and look out. Never throw holiday lights or other decorations into trees near power lines.
  • Be especially careful when working near power lines attached to your house. Keep ladders, equipment, and yourself at least 10 feet from power lines.
  • Use only lights, cords, animated displays, and decorations rated for outdoor use. Follow the manufacturer's instructions on how to use them. Use plastic or insulated hooks to hang lights.
  • Cords should be plugged into outlets equipped with Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters. Use a portable GFCI if your outdoor outlets are not equipped with them. GFCI protection is very important outdoors, where weather conditions can create dangerous electrical situations.
  • Do not staple or nail through light strings or electrical cords, and do not attach cords to utility poles.
  • Outdoor holiday lights are for seasonal use, up to 90 days. Bring them inside after the holidays.
  • Avoid decorating outside on windy or wet days. Choose to decorate in favorable weather conditions and during daylight hours.

To learn more, visit


The Shawn Miller Story.


Comments welcome.


Posted on November 23, 2015

MUSIC - Chief Keef Changed The Industry.
TV - Vizio's Best Product Is You.
POLITICS - UIC: Soda Taxes Work.
SPORTS - More McCaskey Malpractice.

BOOKS - All About Poop.


Search The Beachwood Reporter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Follow BeachwoodReport on Twitter

Beachwood Radio!