The [Thursday] Papers
"You don't close Lake Shore Drive," a source experienced in snow emergencies tells John Kass. "If you close the drive, then you've paralyzed the entire North Side. There's no place for the traffic to go, and those people can't get home. It's not 'Why they didn't close the drive sooner?' The question is why they lost control of the drive in the first place."
I don't know if it was possible to keep Lake Shore Drive open - and drivable - but it's an entirely reasonable line of questioning, especially given that the monster waves we were warned of never materialized.
An even better line of questioning, raised by Kass, is this: Where was the world's greatest mayor?
I watched Channel 2's Jay Levine, for example, badger mayoral chief of staff Ray Orozco to no end. Why Orozco didn't finally just clock Levine I can't say, but I would've. And y'all know I think the media fails to ask tough questions.
I didn't find Levine's questions tough, though; I found them gutless. How many times can Orozco said he made the best call he thought he could make?
It's not like he hired Angelo Torres - as far as we know. (To my knowledge, Levine hasn't pursued that line of questioning with the mayor.)
Now, contrast Levine's approach to Orozco to this.
Anyway, Kass is right; Daley didn't appear on your TV screens for the post-mortems yesterday for a reason. Classless to the end.
From The Beachwood Tweetdeck
* Wind chill advisory in effect; will get even colder than #Rahm's dark heart.
* Only one left on shore of Lake Michigan is some dude named Bodhi waiting for his set. #blizzard #snomg #pointbreak #swayze
* Experts: Expect #LakeShoreDrive baby boom in nine months.
* City learns Wendy's sea salt no better on roadways than the kind from McDonald's they usually use.
* Rivals accuse #Rahm of pandering for demanding that all pizza delivery in the city resume immediately.
* City: Streets will be cleared according to who sent you.
* ComEd donations restore power to #Rahm.
* #Rahm unable to claim dibs with furniture in storage; supreme court re-opens residency case.
* #Rahm: Don't blame me, I'm still only pretending to be mayor.
* CTA rails on time, so sense of normalcy yet to return.
* Wayward accordion buses blamed for #LakeShoreDrive mess; next year CTA will use ukelele buses.
Wow, they we sure correct about this blizzard being life-threatening snow. When I went outside to shovel today, I saw a huge snowdrift that spelled out "I'm Going to KILL You".
News You Can't Use
I Was Not On The List
Most Depressing Headline Ever
TIM: Oh brother. Hell, why not start working on your will while you're at it? Or suicide note.
Detroit Dodges Worst Of Storm
He Lost His Heart At Wounded Knee
Song of the Moment: Lake Shore Drive
Rahm: Too Big To Fail
The Possibly Mob-Related Mystery Of My Fake Chicago Hedge Fund Manager's Voluntary Imprisonment
Art For The People
The Beachwood Tip Line: We got you, babe.
Posted on February 3, 2011
© 2006 - 2017, The Beachwood Media Company