The [Friday] Papers
1. "The major-party candidates for Illinois governor bickered over the state budget and jobs Thursday without providing specifics in an hourlong debate, leading Green Party candidate Rich Whitney to accuse them both of offering 'fantasy economics,'" AP reports.
Funny how Whitney is the candidate the media doesn't take seriously when he's the only candidate who is serious.
2. "The standoff at Whittier elementary school in Chicago's Pilsen neighborhood could be coming to an end," WBEZ reports.
City agrees to fix errant Whitey Elementary School signs.
3. "Former Chicago Ald. Ed Vrdolyak alderman, who got probation after pleading guilty in a $1.5 million real estate kickback scheme, will be resentenced today and could be sent to jail," the Tribune reports between panty raids.
Otherwise Vrdolyak plans to run for mayor under the ballot name Whitey.
If sentenced to jail, he'll do his time from the back seat of his limo.
4. Tribune Memo of the Day:
FROM: Randy Michaels
Does she like me? Check one:
_SHE COULD BE PERSUADED WITH JAGER BOMBS AND A PROMOTION
5. "A suburban topless-bar honcho was slapped with federal charges Thursday after he was accused of stiffing the IRS of millions of dollars in taxes while hoarding $12 million in cash in an Elk Grove Village warehouse," the Sun-Times reports.
Randy Michaels declined to comment.
The bidding starts with Randy Michaels.
"At some airports with really short runways, you're not going to have a smooth landing no matter how good we are: John Wayne Airport; Jackson Hole, Wyoming; Chicago Midway; and Reagan National."
9. On the next Sound Opinions:
"It's an over-the-top, larger-than-life and full of neuroses. No wonder The Wall remains a masterpiece today. Jim and Greg conduct a Classic Album Dissection of Pink Floyd's The Wall and review the new Ben Folds/Nick Hornby collaboration."
We've got the whole Wall show from the former Chicago stadium last month.
10. Thanks to everyone who came out last night, it was a blast.
11. Disney's Fraud.
12. The College Football Report
13. The Week in WTF.
Possibly including some Tribune-related items.
14. In case you missed it.
The Beachwood Tip Line: Your spill chill pill.
Posted on October 15, 2010
© 2006 - 2017, The Beachwood Media Company