The [Friday] Papers
1. Rahm bingo.
My favorite is: "Give me my fucking house back."
2. Why can't we get Howard Dean instead? (See second item.)
Do as I say, not as Rahm does.
4. I prefer Tom Dart. He knows where the bodies are buried.
You write the check, he'll listen as you add another zero.
6. Little-known fact: Rahm first met Daley at evil mayor school.
7. "Today marks the first day of the media festival that some are calling Rahmapalooza and others have dubbed Rahmadan," Dan Mihalopoulos writes for the Chicago News Cooperative. "The Prague spring of Chicago politics lasted less than a month, and Rahm Emanuel is now preparing to roll back into town."
8. Rahm's replacement has a reputation as a fixer. Which is good, because Rahm is known as a breaker.
9. Little-known fact: Rahm Emanuel was once considered for the lead role eventually taken by Al Pacino in The Devil's Advocate.
10. Facebook Feed: Matt Farmer is now friends with The Tenant Who Won't Move Out of Rahm Emanuel's House and 13 other people.
13. Funny, Rahm is not trending in Chicago tweets but Paranormal Activity is.
14. I didn't think he'd do it. In our Mayoral Odds (now updated), I put the odds of Rahm running and becoming our next mayor at 100-1. Here's what I wrote:
"Ask yourself a few questions. Does he really want to go from running the free world to worrying about Streets and San? And the man is still relatively young and ambitious. Where would he go from here - president? He's everybody's favorite but it's hard to envision."
I guess he just needs a job, though. Like many folks, I'm not sure where his votes come from. My guess is that he'll inherit the Daley machinery and become the business candidate as well. A vote for Rahm will mean a vote for more of the same - or, as he may put it, continuity. (Though he'll dress it up in "change" language. He'll pledge "reform." As if.) Watch for him to also signal "strength," meaning more bullying (less pulpit).
One thing, though: He gives everyone else in the race somebody to really run against hard. Rahm will energize an opposition like no other candidate in the race. You'll be hearing a lot about Anybody But Rahm.
Secretariat's Not Impossible Story
"Sure, I'll buy into it for the couple of hours it runs, but I'd rather remember the real story. Because it wasn't impossible."
The Week in WTF
The World's Greatest College Football Report
Frankly, we're funnier.
Speaking of the House . . .
The Beachwood Tip Line: Ad infinitum.
Posted on October 1, 2010
© 2006 - 2017, The Beachwood Media Company